Skip to main content

Futsal and Youth Development


Futsal and Youth Football


I've hesitated in writing this for a few months now but after spending sometime mulling the subject over, I thought I'd bite the bullet and suffer the flak that will inevitably find itself my way.

Twitter is my University of choice. It's where I find ideas and swap opinions with like minded fellow Football Coaches. It's amazing, I am constantly surprised at the level of resources out there and more importantly the generosity of many of the people I come across.

It's also chock full of people determined to see every exchange as a battle that must be won.

This is why I've hesitated. For months now I've been engaged in exchanges about Futsal and in particular why it's a great development tool. Throughout these discussions, I've asked one simple question: Why?

Now some have taken this innocuous enquiry at face value and tried to explain the reasons why they feel it works so well, some have just trotted well used phrases without much understanding  and others have taken it as a personal affront to their world view, calling me and idiot, unqualified, inexperienced and more besides.

It's probably my fault. I'm genuinely interested in what shapes Football Development and like everyone, I have my own views. However, I'm not easily swayed by blasé statements and poorly thought out clichés. I like to see and question the evidence if possible.

So, I did.

For the last month, my Under Nine team have had training indoors. This was a great opportunity to test different approaches and In my way, work out what is going on.

Now, as my Twitter mates have pointed out, I am no expert. I have no expensive tools, just me and my mate keen to see what's happening.

We arranged our sessions as Whole, Part, Whole with 30 minutes traditional 5 aside, 20 minutes SSG with a theme and 30 minutes Futsal. We asked ourselves one question only. "How does Futsal differ to 5 aside in terms of player requirements"

This is the ball we used and what we found.



Time Restrictions

Futsal imposes time restrictions on goal keeper possession that 5 aside doesn't. This in itself requires the goalkeeper and outfield players to react quicker to the goalkeeper. Although both formats saw the keeper being used as a safety, Futsal kept the keeper and outfield players more alert. Fitness and decision making requirements were increased.

The Ball

My Under Nines hate the Futsal ball. When I asked them why, it was because they couldn't boot it the way they could a normal ball. Now this has some obvious impact on requirements. The ball rewards technical players who are comfortable with it at their feet. It punishes the players who boot it away or try wild speculative shots. Tactically, it rewards the team that can manipulate the ball through possession into better scoring areas. However, we also noticed that the players found it easier to control in certain situations.

It could also be argued that as the kids were not shooting from longer distances, this could negatively affect this technique.

Side lines

The pitch markings and side lines had a definite impact on requirements. Lots of the players suddenly found that their misplaced passes (out of play) and poor attempts just to get rid came back to punish them. A poorly placed pass quickly became an attacking opportunity for the opposition whereas in 5 aside, the boards are more forgiving of poor passes.  

There was also a bigger requirement for wide players to keep the ball better and dribble better. A poor dribble in 5's could easily be made into a winning move. A poor one in Futsal meant you just lost the ball.

General

We found no difference in terms of creativity required in either format and sometimes found that 5 aside encouraged creativity via the use of the boards.

So, in our own little way, we did find some differences in Futsal. In summary, you seem to be rewarded better for mastering the ball. The ball encourages mastery, the time and side line restrictions reward the player with better control, decision making and team engagement.

Futsal is definitely not an individual game as some Youtube videos try to make out. It's also not full of flash tricks. The successful Futsal team will have mastered the ball, be disciplined, patient and fit and have a tactical fluidity and flexibility to manipulate the ball into great areas. These things translate into modern football.

These are the attributes a modern footballer needs and the England DNA Project is desperate to instil into our Youth players. Should we abandon other methods for Futsal? Probably not but it should be part of a footballers education. How much so, is up to you.

5 Aside is still great and still encourages lots of those requirements but Futsal enhances them.

So, let the flak begin!

Comments

  1. Futsal encourages the development of technique and quicker decision making in both defending and attacking with faster transitions making players focus as they are constantly involved.
    I believe futsal has so many more benefits than five a side and I am excited to see the game grow further over the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure of the possibilities for growth. If facilities are not there, only hardcore futsal fans will seek it out. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. I'm not really sure of the possibilities for growth. If facilities are not there, only hardcore futsal fans will seek it out. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I think this time of year it is a must and the warmer drier months we can do outdoor. The other issue with GR is that we do 5v5 up until u8s then the pitch and numbers grow, why?! Kids are still developing decision making, why are we giving them more options, with arguably less time? This is why Futsal is a better tool, more contact time and enough decision making to facilitate development rather than overwhelm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really like your comment. I agree that 7 aside is not required. Seems like a compromise?

      Delete
    2. Really like your comment. I agree that 7 aside is not required. Seems like a compromise?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coaching For The Brave

Over the years football has become more and more commercial. At its highest levels the game is now so professional and scientific it bears little resemblance to that played just a generation ago. This has brought great benefits for players, supporters and TV audiences around the world. A whole industry has erupted to support the game, spawning Directors of Football, Sports Psychologists, Performance Analysts and even Sleep Advisers. Clubs have poured millions into Elite Academies for those identified as having a chance of reaching the top and reaping the rewards. Young Starlets that graduate from these Centres of Excellence are paid thousands of pounds per week despite never having done anything of merit in the game. Coaches are trained and can't wait to get into the talent factories as a "first step on the rung" to a dream full time job with a club. Kids as young as nine and ten have a Golden ticket dangled in front of them and doting, eager parents hapi

Now THAT's a Rondo!

I've seen a quote that says "The whole of the game is present in Rondos" I'm not sure about this but since discovering them I have come to see them as an important tool for youth development. However, when I talk to other coaches I sometimes get the idea that they are misunderstood.  Opinions tend to vary from " Ah, the secret weapon of Barcelona " to " Piggy in the middle? " I certainly found that lot's of coaches I know use what they call a Rondo as some kind of warm up before sessions or games start and my own 9 year olds saw it as just a bit of fun when I introduced them to it. The problem is, the Rondo is so much more and can be used in many different ways. After asking my players what they thought about Rondos I decided I needed to reintroduce them and highlight their effectiveness in a new way. Below is a description of how I did this in a recent session. We've probably all seen this set up and this 4v2 exercise is how